I’ve been living in Austin for exactly a little over a year now! Ah it’s crazy! I feel like I moved down here yesterday. I’m so excited to share some of my favorite spots with you all. Don’t get me wrong, I love making my food at home but when there are so many great spots here that offer fresh, local & delicious options, it makes going out to eat that much better.
This city is truly full of character and full of so much to enjoy. Whether you’re reading this and planning a visit or live here already, I think you’ll love these spots that I’ve found to be my go-to’s. And if you want more on things to do, see, etc. feel free to reach out to me because I would be happy to share more with you!
I chose these places not only because they are delicious but the vibe of the spot is really important to me! I want to enjoy the surroundings too. Some are on the healthier side and others have healthy options, but I believe when you’re really going out to restaurants you should enjoy the experience. I hope that you try them & let me know if you do! xx
1) Suerte: this place has been one of my favorites from the beginning! I love the small plates aspect where everyone at the table shares a bunch of stuff. Then you can practically order everything off the menu, right!? ;) Everything that I’ve gotten there has always been so fresh & you can tell it’s made with local ingredients. They even make their own tortillas, how cool is that? Definitely don’t pass it up for brunch too! I loved the savory spread we had at brunch as well. If you’re looking for a little nicer of a spot, with amazing food & cocktails—this is it. Tip: make reservations if you plan to go, everyone else likes it as much as I do!
2) Emmer & Rye: the first time I went here I was shocked at how each plate we got had such a unique flavor to it. It’s another restaurant that focuses on local ingredients and small plates, which I love! We took my parents here when they were in town and loved it. I also had the opportunity to attend one of their weekend brunches which was Caribbean themed and will be happening over the course of the summer. They plan to switch out their brunch menu with different themes to correspond with the seasons and this menu was AMAZING. If you’re looking for a nicer brunch spot, still with the small plates aspect, definitely check it out. It’s also near Rainey St. so you can hang out down there after!
3) Picnik: this was my first spot I ever went to when I moved down to Austin! It will always be one of my favorites because the menu speaks to me and all the meals I cook. The breakfast hash is my favorite, but you can’t go wrong with avocado toast or just some guacamole. Also, don’t miss out on the drinks. They make some delicious blended coffees and the matcha is one of my favorites! They have three different locations, the north location off Burnet is the restaurant with full menu and two trailers where you can get any of the drinks and small snacks. I love to stop in at the trailer for a quick drink and to just hang out on the porch there.
4) Anthem: I recommend this spot to everyone not only for the food but for the vibe! It is such a fun spot located on Rainey St. and the flavors happening in the food are so good. They definitely have healthier options on the cold plates and starters, but you don’t want to miss out on some of these dishes. I’m bringing a big group of girlfriends to this spot because there will be something on the menu for everyone, its located in a great spot of town, the vibe in the restaurant is spot on & its a great price! My go-to order is the border salad, but I had the opportunity to try their Veg Out PuPu Platter and it was loaded! Perfect for a big group of people
5) Cafe No Se: this is another one of my go-to’s when I have friends in town! The brunch is my favorite!! I usually always get the Sweet Potato hash, but everything always looks so good. I’ve also had the avocado toast which is always a must too. I also love the chill atmosphere of it. You can choose to sit outside or inside and the decor makes the place really great place to relax. It’s on South Congress street so you can eat brunch and then hang out on South Congress after!
6) True Food Kitchen: this spot isn’t local to Austin, but it’s still a go-to of mine. I usually always go here when my mom is in town because she loves it! The food is always fresh and there are so many unique items on the menu. I also love that they are really considerate of dietary preferences. I went here when I was doing Whole 30 and they were so accommodating of it. The cocktails are also so tasty!! My go-to here is the Ancient Grains bowl, Inside out Quinoa Burger or Grilled Salmon.
7) Bouldin Creek Cafe: this vegetarian cafe is a place that I stumbled upon (didn’t know it was vegeterian when I first went) and loved it!! I get the same thing every time—the fajitas Italianas and the pesto sauce that comes with it is AMAZING. I need to recreate it. It’s also very inexpensive, the patio is dog friendly and they have so many different plant based options!
8) Flower Child: this place was one of my favorites when I was living in Dallas so I was excited to see they were in Austin too. This is a go-to when I want something quick & healthy but don’t want to make it myself ;) I haven’t had anything there that I don’t like, but my favorite is the Mother Earth bowl. Sometimes I will substitute the grains for more veggies & they are totally cool with that. Other things that I’ve gotten that I really like are the Brussels sprouts (duh) and the Mac and cheese! So good!! If you want to go out to eat but not be out for too long, this place is your spot! But the line does sometimes get long if you go at certain times.
9) Blenders & Bowls: another one of my first places to go after moving to Austin! if you love açaí bowls as much as I do, then you will love these! They are perfect to cool off with and a bunch of different flavors to choose from. They also have light snacks and smoothies as well! Plus, these bowls make for a great instagramable shot as well ;)
10) JuiceLand: you can always count on this place for a freaking GOOD smoothie. I love making my own smoothies, but I love Juiceland so much. There are a few locations around Austin and they all have the best atmosphere, whether you’re looking to stop in for a few minutes to hang out or take a smoothie to go. They also are great about customizing an order! I am so complicated when I get my smoothie and are constantly asking to alternate something or add something in. My go to order: Wundershowzen: add in blueberries, take out the peanut butter and add in almonds, plus add a date & hemp seeds.
11) Bar Peached: I recently tried this place and I’ve been waiting to go back ever since! Not only is it at a cute little spot in town, but the food was so good. Everything can be ordered to share or you can do individual plates. I loved all the salad-y options; we had the charred Brussels & maple roasted carrots. YUM! And then had the spiced cauliflower tacos to share! They also have a great variety of drinks too! I had the cosmonaut which was
12) II Brutto: I don’t usually do Italian because it isn’t something that I crave all the time, but after having the opportunity to experience this restaurant, I think I need to change that. They have the cutest patio and everything that we had was SO good! The pizza was AMAZING. They make all their pizzas, pastas and bread homemade and you can definitely tell in the flavors of it all. We also had the butternut squash ravioli which was one of the best raviolis I’ve had.
13) Fresa’s Chicken: another one of my favorites, not only for the food but for the vibe of the spot! You have the option to sit outside which I love on a cool evening. The have an avocado margarita that you have to try if you’ve never had one! I usually get the classic margarita. My go-to order is the Power Bol. It’s loaded with so many yummy goods and I crave this regularly!
For a blog post to come soon…my favorite coffee shops! But in case you’re curious, here are a few: Cosmic Coffee Beer & Garden, Radio Coffee, Mañana, Houndstooth, Merit Coffee, and Picnik.
Thank you Suerte, Juiceland, Anthem, II Bruto, and Emmer & Rye for graciously allowing me to come into the restaurant to try the menu. Your support for One Balanced Life means a lot.